PREPARATION TIME: 20 minutes
COOKING TIME: 40 minutes
- 2 Tbsp African Soup Spice Blend
- 2 Tbsp of Onion Paste
- 1 Tbsp of Ginger paste
- 1Tsp Salt
- 2 Large Tilapia fresh Fish, cleaned and cut up in medium size pieces
- 320g mixture of tripe and cow foot pieces
- 1 Tbsp Tomato paste
- 1 Medium White Onion, peeled
- 300g Vine Tomatoes, cleaned
- 1 Small Scotch Bonnet Pepper (or to your taste)
- 1 Tbsp butter beans
- 1.5 litres of water
- 200g Yams, peeled washed and cubed.
- Boil cubed yams with just enough water to cover it and salt to taste.
- When yams are soft, remove and strain the excess water.
- Add all the seasoning to the tilapia, cow foot and tripe in a soup pot. Cover the pot and gently shake to evenly coat the contents of the pot. Allow it to season for at least 20minutes.
- Add 200ml of water, tomatoes, onion and scotch bonnet to the pot. Cover the pot and cook for about 2- 5 minutes just enough to get the fish to steam. Remove fish and set aside. Continue boiling till tomatoes and onion have softened and all the water has simmered down completely. Remove tomatoes, onion and scotch bonnet, place in a blender add the butter beans and 500mls of water. Blend until smooth.
- Add the tomato paste to the pot, stir well, add 100mls of water and stir. Let this cook for about 5 minutes. Now strain the blended mixture into the pot. Re-blend the chuff with the remaining water and restrain into the pot.
- Half cover the pot and let it gently simmer for about 35 minutes. Then add the fish and continue to gently simmer for another 5 minutes. Taste and correct seasoning with salt.
Serve soup with yam chunks floating in the soup. Garnish with basil leaves.