Tuesday, 25 August 2015

Bofrot/Puff Puff/ Ghana Style Doughnuts (Eggless method)

Bofrot, also known as Puff Puff by the Nigerians, is a well loved West African Doughnut, usually sold as street food. It is similar to any other doughnut yet slightly different. There are so many recipes for this doughnut with each giving a different texture and taste but the main ingredients are always the same i.e. Flour, sugar, yeast and water. It has taken me a while to post any recipe for Bofrot because I was trying to find the perfect and authentic recipe for the Ghanaian Bofrot. However, my recent visit back to Ghana made me realize that there isn't one perfect or authentic recipe. I remembered days as a young child buying bofrot from my favourite street vendor. There were many of them yet there was always a favourite one, that you just loved their bofrot. Every street vendor had a slightly different taste and texture to their bofrot and it was up to the customer to choose which vendor's recipe they liked best. Being back home again and tasting bofrot from different vendors made me realize, there isn't one authentic recipe, it all depends on what taste and texture you prefer. For this particular recipe, the texture and taste is what I usually find from vendors from the central region (Fantes). It's a lighter and softer bofrot. There are a number of recipes I like and I will share all with you in time. It's up to you to choose your favourite. Don't forget to leave feedback when you try out the recipes. Enjoy!

INGREDIENTS:
  • 340g Plain Flour
  • 100g Caster Sugar
  • 14g or 2 tsp Dried Yeast
  • 1 tsp Nutmeg 
  • 1/2 Tsp salt
  • 290ml Luke Warm Water
  • Oil for Deep Frying
*Recipe adapted from Pepper and Stew

METHOD:
  1. Place the flour and all the dry ingredients in a bowl. 
  2. Mix well and make a well a the center.
      
  3. Now add the water and mix until well incorporated.
       
  4. Cover with cling film and place in a warm place for it to rise. It may take about an hour for this to happen. If not give it time for it to rise.
  5. Remove the cling film and stir the batter.
       
  6. Place the oil on the hob and let it heat up. To check if it is at the right temperature, add a tiny bit of the batter to the oil, if it rises to the top immediately and it start to brown, then the oil is ready.
       
  7. Using your hand, scoop balls of batter into the oil. Alternatively, use a table spoon to scoop the batter and with the help of another table spoon drop the batter into the oil.
  8. Stir the oil continuously to evenly distribute the heat.
  9. As the bofrot cooks up on one side, it will turn itself as you stir the oil. Once the inside is thoroughly cooked, it easily turns itself. Lower the heat to help the inside of the bofrot to cook thoroughly without burning the bofrot. Continuously stir oil and turn bofrot to get a golden brown colour.  Some prefer a darker shade of brown but be careful not to burn it.
  10. Using a slotted spoon, take out the bofrot and drain on kitchen paper to remove excess oil.
  11. Serve warm with your favourite beverage.





3 comments:

  1. Hello, this would be my first time of visiting your blog and I must say your puff puff picture is the best picture showing how I love my puff puff to look.
    I really hope I nail it this time using your recipe. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome Teekay to my blog and thank you. I will say give it a try and let's have your feedback. I hope to hear from you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. using this recipe for my bofrot today!

    ReplyDelete