Friday, 12 June 2015

Pineapple & Ginger Drink

Earlier on in the week I was suffering from hay fever and bad soar throat, I felt so miserable, I wished my big sister was around to give me some much needed TLC. She reminded me of the concoctions of natural herbal medicines she made for me as  a child. Oh my this lady is such a naturalist, she will go for natural and herbal medicines rather than processed. She was always cooking up concoctions for any ailment I complained about. I hated most of these concoctions then but there was one particular one I liked. Anytime I was feeling feverish or suffering with a cold, she would boil pineapple skin with some ginger and cloves. This turned into a lovely drink which did miraculous things for my body. Remembering how good this drink was back then, I made some. After drinking it for some couple of days, I feel so much better. For extra TLC, I served the drink with my homemade carrot cake and pancakes. Below is how I made it. I hope you will enjoy it too and enjoy the health benefits it provides.

INGREDIENTS:

  • 1 medium size pineapple
  • Fresh ginger about thumb size or to your preference
  • 5 cloves
  • 2 litres of water
Choice of Sweeteners:
  • Sugar or honey
METHOD:

1. Peel pineapple and ginger slice them. Place the pineapple peels, fruit ginger and cloves in a soup pot.


2. Add 2 litres of water and boil for about 45 minutes to an hour. The smell that emanates from the pot is divine.
3. Once the mixture has boiled, allow it to cool, leaving the mixture to steep for some couple of hours at least for a day.


4. Strain the drink to separate the juice from the chuff.


5. Blend the boiled pineapple fruit and cloves by adding just enough water to help blend. Strain this through a fine sieve and add this to the drink.
6. Add your choice of sweetener to taste. This is optional and may not be necessary depending on how sweet the pineapple is.
7. Bottle the drink for storage. Either serve it warm or well chilled on ice.
Enjoy!







No comments:

Post a Comment